Sunday, May 13, 2007

Orientation Continues

Today was a full day of orientation. It began at 9AM and finished at 9PM. We started the day with worship outside under the trees (picture to left). Taking the lectionary reading to new heights, there were two sermons this morning - one from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament! Both of them were great sermons. Its good to be among so many other seminary students. But there are also 20 other lay persons from churches and they provide a nice balance to our group. As one person said tonight, "Y'all help us remember we can have normal conversations!"

After worship this morning, we had an overview lecture on the entire history of the middle east beginning with the prehistoric, bronze age, iron age, and so on all the way up to the modern age. It was quite a whirlwind ride with Steve McKenzie, our professor for the trip from Rhodes College. After the lecture we took a much needed lunch followed by more meetings, dinner, and a final conversation on listening to each other. Apparently conversations among the theological diversity of the group have gotten tense in ages past. So we're encouraged to practice our best active listening skills. I'm looking forward to the opportunity for diverse conversation. I think the Socratic Club has probably trained me well in listening (unless you ask Wilson!).

Tomorrow we have more orientation and then we fly out at 9PM! I don't know if I'll get a post in tomorrow. So the next time you hear from me may be in the Middle East!

P.S. At some point in the trip I'm supposed to be prepared to present on the Krak des Chevaliers. Here's the link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a GREAT trip! We're all very proud of you. Love, Dad - I'm going to keep my comment short and generic, not my normal self.