Friday, June 1, 2007

Day 19 - Jersualem (Take Two)

Today was a day of museums. We began with the Holocaust museum. We had about an hour to blow through this museum. I spent my time in the Memorial Hall (an eternal flame burning in a dark room with the name of the concentration camps in the floor), the Art Gallery, the Children's Memorial (a moving memorial to all the children killed in the Holocaust), and the gardens. We were each on our own so different people did different things. It was a very peaceful place to spend an hour, even though the surrounding memorials were in stark contrast to the peaceful surroundings.

Next on the agenda was the Jerusalem Museum with the main attraction being the display of the Dead Sea Scrolls. After having seen these in Grand Rapids, and probably seeing more than were displayed here, it was not quite as interesting to me as it might have been, but it was still a good visit. The more interesting exhibit we visited at this museum was a scale model of Jerusalem during Jesus' time. It was about 100 x 100 feet and helped orient us to the city and all the places we had seen. The temple mount and Herod's Temple particularly stood out amidst all the other buildings. It must have been quite impressive in its day.

After these museums we went to Bethlehem for lunch. We passed through the daunting wall again. We had shwarmas (sp?) or falafel. A shwarma is carved meet in a pita with various toppings. It reminded me of a Middle Eastern Subway. On the way out of Bethlehem, they asked for everyone to pull out their passports. I did not bring mine, and thankfully it was just a bluff. I was prepared to be left stranded in Bethlehem.

As we drove to our next destination we stopped at the Women in Black protest. Every Friday at the same time women dress in black and protest the "occupation" of the West Bank by Israel. I put "occupation" in quotes because this term is hotly contested. We had the opportunity to get out and talk with the women. Many in the group joined the protest. Not being the protest-type myself, I abstained, particularly having not heard both sides of the issue on this trip. Though from what I have heard, the Palestinian perspective is a compelling one.

Our last stop of the day was the Mount of Olives. We began at the top overlooking Jerusalem. It was a birds eye vantage point. We walked down to the Church of Tears where Jesus wept over Jerusalem and then descended further to the garden of Gethsemane and the church near the garden. The garden and the ancient olive trees in it were beautiful. The church housed the rock that is the traditional site of Jesus' weeping in the garden. It was a very dark church with alabaster windows that did not let in much light. It was a calming quiet place to end our visit of Jerusalem. It was also appropriate to end in the garden where Jesus struggled with his own decision to follow his Father's will for this city and the world. I suspect each of us is wrestling with what God might be calling us to now that we have made this visit to these lands.

Tomorrow we get up at 1:30 AM to fly to Athens at 7:00AM. We then take a hydrofoil to Hydra and have a day of R&R. Lastly, we have one day in Athens before making the long flight home. I do not know whether I will have time to make any posts past today. But the bulk of our trip concludes today. If I don't get one up in Athens, I will post something about the last days when I get home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing the passport thing was just a bluff! I hear Israel is well-known for it's pranks. Good luck navigating all the humor.

p.s. you're sunglasses in that one picture terrify me. You look very serious. Was this right after the passport prank?

Miss you!

Bill Copeland

Anonymous said...

Please note that Tom's glasses and facial expression are nearly identical in at least four different posts. I'm beginning to suspect he is not actually on this trip, but someone is dragging around a carboard cutout of him and placing it in various places in the Middle East. Which begs the questions: Where is the REAL Tom? And how DOES a person successfully slip a large cardboard cutout through customs?

--Tom's wife
(who may or may not know the answers to said questions)

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo glad someone else posted about this! It's obvious to me that Tom is in some Government Program doing something he can't tell us about. For a very long time I was sure he was in the FBI Witness Protection Program. He was always moving from one place to another with no visible means of supporting himself. And at one time he had three different addresses. He would only call me when he said he was traveling? The sunglasses are definitely Government issues, and "Who" travels without a passport on themselves at all times. Who could do that???

Makes you go Hmmm?

Dad (I think)

ERJ said...

Ah this blog password thing is making me crazy. Finally in?? At least I've got my message nearly memorized after the third round...

I don't know about all this "where in the world is Tom Arthur" talk, I'm saying he really is in the Middle East as advertised.

Now, if we only knew his real mission....

Tom, thanks for staying in touch. Your Internet training at PUMC is paying off in spades, whatever that means. And you have benefitted from your wife's writing skills (trust me, attributing at least part of it to her will go a long way).

And next time you have to take a long trip, I hope you will keep in mind the words of an experienced travelling sales person; "As long as she complains as you announce your next trip, you are ok. If she helps pack your bags you know you have trouble."

Thanks for staying in touch and sharing through the blog,

Earl.

Anonymous said...

Tom's mother says: "Of course Tom is in the Middle East. Mothers know where their children are at all times! Tom, I've really enjoyed your blog. It was the next best thing to being there with you. May God bless it to your ministry in the years ahead. Have a safe trip home, and I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your trip when you get home." Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Tom, I KNOW where you've been --'cause you've carried me along on your amazing journey, at a breathless pace with breathtaking views [especially when Jonathan happened to be in the photo!!!]. You've been my saving grace through it all. And I thank you. Your prose, your wit, your depiction have been a treasure. I intend to continue praying for you and your ministry for a risen Christ -- we serve a mighty God! I look forward to your final summation. For you and your family, I wish God's abundant blessings.

Thank you, Tom.

Peggye and Ted Berry, Jonathan's parents
Crystal Springs, Mississippi

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Please return my sunglasses.

Batman